Are you having people over this Easter? Why not making something special then, like a special cake.Mimosa cake is a very popular cake in Italy. It is actually made for National Women’s day on the 8th of March. Mimosa is a yellow flower which has become the symbol of this special day dedicated to women. The cake resembles this flower.I decided to change the recipe a little and theme it for Easter as its yellow colours go just perfectly with Easter especially if decorated with little chocolate eggs and Easter chicks!Mimosa cake is made with a soft and light Italian style sponge filled with a lemon or vanilla flavoured creme patisserie and cream. I have added some pineapple in the filling which goes well with the custard and makes this cake fresher and delicate.You will love this. Give it a go ;-)
- Whip the egg whites with 2/3 of the sugar. Whip the yolks with the hot water and the remaining sugar
- Stir the egg whites and yolks together. Add the vanilla extract and sift the flour over the eggs stirring the ingredients in gently. Do not whip them to avoid the air bubbles getting out.
Pour the mixture on a greased round baking tin. Cook the cake at 180C for about 30 minutes until golden
- Let the cake cool down then slice it in the middle and cut half of the sponge off with a knife.
Mix the water with the pineapple syrup and the liquor (optional) and soak the two sponge discs (not the sponge you’ve cut off)
- Make the creme patisserie by whipping the yolks with the sugar until pale in colour. Then add the flour and stir it in.
- Heat the milk up then pour it slowly, whilst always stirring, over the whipped yolks in a sauce pan. Put it over a source of heat, add the lemon zest cut into big pieces (be careful not to cut the white bit of the lemon too which is bitter)
- Cook the mixture stirring all the time until it gets thick. Boil for a couple of minutes. Then remove the lemon zest
Put the pineapple over one half of the spongeLet the creme patisserie cool down then whip the cream and stir it in. Then spread 1/3 of the mixture over the pineapple
- Put the other half of the sponge on top of the cream like a sandwich
- Spread the remaining cream over the cake
Cut the leftover sponge into small pieces and stick it onto the cream over the cake
- Decorate with small chocolate eggs and chicks.HAPPY EASTER!